Sunday, January 25, 2009

God's mercies are new every day!

Last Monday, I was busy on Wesley Patrol. He had just lay down for a long winter's nap after lunch and I was at the computer. I got up to check on him after he quieted down. Passing through the kitchen I smelled something hot, burning. I checked on Wesley and went back to investigate. To make a long, stressful story "sorta" shorter, as I raced around the kitchen, where the smell was the most and getting worse, I tried to figure out where the smell got lesser in the house. God planted me in the living room looking back at the kitchen. The ceiling light was on and in the illumination on the top of the light upwards there was smoke curling up and around the light. I snapped of the light, snatched up the pup, to the back room to get the leash, grabbed Wesley's coat off the table, dialed Joel on the cphone, got to Wesley's side - he's sound asleep, woke him up and got his coat on. All the while, trying to explain in "panic" fashion to Joel what was happening, what I had done, and what I was doing, and how I didn't know what to do--but I was ready to take the two most important living beings outside with me if need be. Joel said to shut the circuit breaker off and call the fire department. I told Benny to stay put--and he did! I took Wesley with me downstairs to unlock the doors. The small captain's truck arrived and these 2 burly firemen came in the house with this little gadget, pointing it to the ceiling. They called back to the station that there was no fire and no further assistance needed. Two minutes later up came the big fire truck with 5 more firemen and the police cars came. I laughed and said I didn't think that the message was understood. One guy when out to wave off the others while the other explained that 2 of the curly florescent bulbs had had the ballests burn out and started to smoke. The sockets are blackened. Said that they were glad to make 100 of this type of call of just "checking" than to have to come with a full blown fire. 
I then sat down with Wesley and Benny to praise the Lord and try to get my heart to stop pounding. 
God is good all the time and is in control.
Praise the Lord with me.

No comments: